Family benefits in Saxony

Anyone living and registered in Germany is entitled to state family benefits under
certain conditions. This also applies to so-called cross-border commuters who work
in Germany and live with their family in another country of the European Union (EU)
or the European Economic Area (EEA).
Employees posted to Germany are not entitled to family benefits. They remain sub-
ject to the legislation of the sending state.
Child benefit (“Kindergeld”)
Competent authority:
Federal Employment Agency/Familienkasse
Child benefit is one of the most important benefits for families in Germany. All
families receive child benefit regardless of their income. In principle, it is paid for
all children up to the age of 18. To receive child benefit for children over 18 years
of age, additional requirements must be met.
Since July 2019, monthly child benefit is 204 euros for the first two children,
210 euros for the third child and 235 euros for each additional child. EU/EEA
nationals living and/or working in Germany can also receive child benefit, that in-
cludes cross-border commuters whose children live in another EU/EEA country.
You apply for child benefit at the competent family fund (“Familienkasse”) of the
Federal Employment Agency. Cross-border commuters or employees whose child-
ren do not live in Germany must apply for child benefit at the family fund respon-
sible for their country.
Child benefit is paid retroactively only for the last six months before the
beginning of the month in which the application for child benefit is received.
All information on the child benefit and application forms can be found at

Contact info of the competent Familienkasse
The Netherlands
Bundesagentur für Arbeit
Familienkasse Rheinland-Pfalz – Saarland
55149 Mainz (DEUTSCHLAND)
Fax: +49 (681) 944 910 5324
E-Mail: Familienkasse-Rheinland-Pfalz-Saarland@
Czech Republic
Bundesagentur für Arbeit
Familienkasse Baden-Württemberg West
76088 Karlsruhe (DEUTSCHLAND)
Fax: (for france) +49 (781) 9393 697
Fax: (for Switzerland) +49 (7621) 178 260 585
E-Mail: Familienkasse-Baden-Wuerttemberg-West@
Bundesagentur für Arbeit
Familienkasse Bayern Süd
93013 Regensburg (DEUTSCHLAND)
Fax: +49 (851) 508 617
Bundesagentur für Arbeit
Familienkasse Sachsen
09092 Chemnitz (DEUTSCHLAND)
Fax: +49 (3591) 661 878
All other
member states
Bundesagentur für Arbeit
Familienkasse Bayern Nord
90316 Nürnberg (DEUTSCHLAND)
Fax: +49 (911) 529 3997

Child benefit supplement (“Kinderzuschlag”)
Competent authority:
Federal Employment Agency/Familienkasse
Child supplement is a supplementary cash benefit. Parents or guardians who
receive child benefit can apply for it additionally. The child supplement is paid to-
gether with the child benefit.
The maximum child supplement is 185 euros per child and month. Since 1 January
2020, the upper income limit has been abolished. In addition, only 45 percent of
the parents‘ income in excess of subsistence will be credited towards the child
supplement, instead of the previous 50 percent.
The child supplement o ers financial support to families with low incomes. To
receive it, the following
must be met:
Your child lives in your household, is under 25 years old and is not married
or in a registered partnership.
You receive child benefit (or a comparable benefit) for the child.
Your family‘s gross income is at least 900 euros (parents) or 600 euros
(single parents).
You would have enough money to support your family if you received child
benefit and possibly housing benefit in addition to your income.
Cross-border commuters are also entitled to the child benefit supplement if they
meet all the requirements.
All information on the child benefit supplement and application forms can be
found at

Maternity leave (“Mutterschutz”)
Expectant and nursing mothers enjoy special protection and consideration at
work, in training and at university. The maternity leave regulations protect mother
and child during pregnancy, after delivery and during the breastfeeding period.
This includes, among other things, securing income during the period of prohibi-
tion of employment, guaranteeing a secure job and special protection against
Your doctor can certify that you as an expectant mother are no longer allowed to
carry out certain activities. This individual employment ban serves to protect your
health and that of your child and is subject only to medical assessment.
Individual employment prohibitions issued by a medical doctor are no
incapacity-to-work certificates!
If posted employees become pregnant in Germany, the German maternity leave
regulations apply to them. The maternity leave wage must be paid by the sending
Information and advice:
Saxony Regional Directorate (Department of Occupa-
tional Safety and Health) - depending on your place of work at the Chemnitz,
Dresden or Leipzig locations.
Maternity benefit (“Mutterschaftsgeld”)
Competent authority:
your health insurance fund
The maternity benefit is paid by your health insurance fund for the duration of the
statutory maternity leave: six weeks before birth, for the day of delivery itself and
for the first eight weeks after birth.

In the case of multiple and premature births, maternity benefit is extended from
eight to twelve weeks from the date of delivery. The payment of maternity benefit
is also extended by four weeks if the baby is diagnosed with a disability in the first
eight weeks after birth and an application for an extension of maternity leave is
submitted to the competent health insurance fund.
The maximum daily maternity benefit is 13 euros.
The di erence between the maximum amount of 13 euros and net pay is paid by
the employer as a supplement to the maternity benefit for those covered by sta-
tutory health insurance.
Women with voluntary or compulsory membership in a statutory health insurance
fund entitled to sickness benefit are also entitled to maternity benefit. Maternity
benefit is also paid for mini-jobs. Depending on the type of insurance, part-time
employees can claim maternity benefit from the health insurance fund or the
Federal Insurance O ce.
An employment or work-from-home relationship exists;
the employment relationship was terminated during pregnancy in a
permissible manner or
an employment relationship is entered into after the start of the protection
You must apply for maternity benefit with your competent health insurance fund
and submit a medical certificate stating the expected date of delivery.
You can find further information on maternity benefit on the homepage of
your competent health insurance fund.

Parental leave/parental benefit/national
education allowance (“Elternzeit/Elterngeld/
Parental leave (“Elternzeit”)
Competent authority:
your employer
Parental leave o ers you the opportunity to look after your child and at the same
time not to lose touch with professional life.
As an employee, you are
entitled to parental leave
until your child‘s third birth-
day. During this period, you do not have to work - your job remains secure and you
are protected against dismissal. Mothers and fathers can take parental leave
alone or together. It is important that you live in the same household as your child,
that you look after and bring up the child mainly by yourself and that you do not
work more than 30 hours per week during parental leave.
You must apply for parental leave up to the completion of your child’s third birth-
day with your employer latest seven weeks before the beginning of parental leave.
Following expiry of parental leave, your employer must o er you an equivalent job.
Parental allowance (“Elterngeld”)
Competent authority:
Parental allowance o ce (Elterngelddstelle) of your com-
petent city or district administration.
Parental allowance
is a state support for parents who want to look after their
child themselves for a period after birth and who are therefore not or not fully
employed during this time. Parental allowance can also be paid to parents who
were not working before the birth of the child.

Parental allowance is available for births from 1 July 2015 in two variants: as ba-
sic parental allowance, which corresponds to the old parental allowance regula-
tion, and as ElterngeldPlus. With ElterngeldPlus, mothers and fathers can com-
bine parental allowance and part-time work. Parents who return to part-time
work at an early stage will receive parental allowance for longer.
Parental allowance amounts to roughly two thirds of the previous income - at
least 300 euros and at most 1,800 euros. Parental allowance is paid for twelve
months. If mother and father share parental leave, they receive basic parental be-
nefit for a maximum of 14 months. One parent can get parental allowance for at
least two and at most twelve months.
ElterngeldPlus is calculated in the same way as the basic parental allowance, but
amounts to a maximum of half the parental allowance to which parents without
part-time income would be entitled after childbirth. In return, it is paid for twice
the period: one basic parental allowance month = two ElterngeldPlus months.
To receive parental allowance, you must meet the following
You care for and raise your child yourself after birth.
You live with your child in the same household.
You do not work more than 30 hours a week.
You have your place of residence or habitual abode in Germany.
Nationals of EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Swit-
zerland are also entitled to parental allowance if they are employed in Germany or
live in Germany.
Nationals of other countries can receive parental allowance if they have a settle-
ment permit, a permit for permanent residence in the EU or a residence permit
that entitles them to work.
Please refer to
for more information. You can find the
parental allowance o ce responsible for you and application forms at https://

State parenting allowance
Competent authority:
Parenting benefit o ce (Eltern-/Erziehungsgeldstelle) of
your competent city or district administration.
Parents who live in the Free State of Saxony can receive a state parenting allo-
wance in the second or third year of their child‘s life.
With the state parenting allowance, the Free State of Saxony supports in particu-
lar those parents who have decided to look after their child at home themselves
for a longer period of time and, for example, wish to take the full three years of
statutory parental leave. If you claim a place for your child in a child day care fa-
cility subsidized with state funds or a state subsidy for day care, you are excluded
from state parenting allowance on principle.
For more information on state parenting benefit (entitlement, duration,
amount, etc.) please refer to
Advance maintenance payments
Responsible o ce:
Youth Welfare O ce (Jugendamt) of your competent city or
district administration.
Children who live with a single parent and receive no or no regular maintenance
from the other parent are entitled to an advance on maintenance payments. There
is no income limit for the single parent. A court decision on maintenance against
the other parent is not necessary. If the other parent is fully or partially able to
pay maintenance, the state will claim the amount of the advance on maintenance

Who is entitled to advance maintenance payments? Children:
who have not yet reached the age of 12,
who live within the territory of the Law with one of their parents (who is
single, widowed, divorced or separated), and
who do not regularly receive maintenance payments from the other parent
or (if the other parent is deceased), receive orphan‘s benefits at least equal
to the advance maintenance payments.
Foreigners who are not entitled to freedom of movement require a settlement
permit or a residence permit entitling them to take up gainful employment; in the
case of a residence permit, additional requirements must be checked on a case-
by-case basis.
Children aged twelve to 18 years (18th birthday) can also receive advance
maintenance payments. This presupposes that they are not dependent on benefits
in accordance with the Second Book of the Social Code (SGB II) or that the single
parent in SGB II reference earns at least 600 euros gross.
Since 1 January 2020, the monthly amount of advance maintenance payment totals:
up to 165 euros for children from 0 to 5 years,
up to 220 euros for children from 6 to 11 years,
up to 293 euros for children from 12 to 17 years.
You can find all information on the subject of advance maintenance pay-
ments and application forms in the portal

Counselling center in Dresden
Volkshaus Dresden
Schützenplatz 14 (1st floor), 01067 Dresden
Leona Bláhová
German, Czech,
Phone: +49 351 85092728
Slovak, English
Paulína Bukaiová
German, Slovak, Polish,
Phone: +49 351 85092729
Czech, English
Counselling center in Leipzig
Listhaus Leipzig – Rosa-Luxemburg-Str. 27
(ground floor), 04103 Leipzig
Paulina Krimmling (née Sokolowska)
German, Polish, English
Phone: +49 341 68413085
Ünige Albert
German, Romanian,
Phone: +49 341 68413086
Hungarian, English
O ce Management Dresden and Leipzig
Melanie Claus
German, English
Phone: +49 351 85092730
This is how you can reach us:

This publication contains general information for guidance.
No guarantee can be given for the correctness of the information and
no legal claims can be derived.
The Information Centre for Foreign Workers of the German state of
Saxony (BABS) is an initiative of the Saxon State Ministry of Econo-
mic A airs, Labour and Transport. The initiative is tax-funded, the
budget is approved by the Members of the Saxon Parliament.
BABS – Information Centre for Foreign Workers in Saxony
Schützenplatz 14, 01067 Dresden
Tel. +49 351 8509 2730
As of:
July 2020
Metronom Agentur für Kommunikation und Design GmbH
Druckerei Mahnert GmbH